Thursday, February 21, 2008

Okay, I lied, my hiatus wasn't over.

I wish I hadn't been so busy or else I could have given a really good run down of the Wisconsin Primary before it happened. In any case, the Democratic nomination is on the verge of being locked up. Obama is surging in Texas and I suspect we will see similar movement in Ohio. Very telling in the Wisconsin results was the fact that Obama won Brown and Outagamie counties. Those are traditionally home of predominantly working class Democrats and the fact that he could carry those by a similar margin to the state as a whole speaks volumes to how he has managed to dismantle the Clinton Coalition.

Hillary can claim a moral victory with wins in Texas and Ohio, but that's probably about all she can do now. The delegate math simply does not work in her favor. If Michigan and Florida are seated that might be different, but that outcome is not likely.

For the Republicans, despite a couple scares, McCain is clearly on the verge of wrapping up the nomination. He may already be there depending on the math. Huckabee is a likely choice for veep, but look to Texas at Kay Bailey Hutchison as a potential choice. She is conservative enough and brings added appeal to a ticket that is headed by the oldest, whitest guy ever to have a good shot at the presidency. I know Dole was older, but he didn't have a good shot.

No comments: